Skip to main content

Survey: American Workers Want To Be Invisible, Hang Out In Locker Rooms

I read a lot of surveys as a workplace writer. It's a work-related hazard, and something I do for fun in my spare time. (Why yes, I am this boring.)

Sometimes I come across a survey that leaves me scratching my head, though. Case in point: A new national Nestle Crunch survey (yes, Nestle Crunch, bear with me here) that tries to measure Americans' "fun quotient."

Nestle conducted phone interviews with slightly more than 1,000 U.S. adults earlier this month.

So how fun are we as a nation? Among the findings:
86% of Americans have fun at least once per week. (One wonders what the other 14% are up to...);

36% of U.S. adults would like to have a daily "siesta" at work like their cousins in other countries. In fact, Nestle concludes U.S. workers would prefer a nap to computer games or cubicle chair races;

Adults over age 65 would like an "endless supply" of Nestle Crunch Bars (a totally shocking finding for a Nestle Crunch survey);

If they could be invisible for a day, 18% of U.S. adults would eavesdrop on others while "less than 10%" would sneak into a locker room to, uh, hang out. (Four times as many men chose the locker room option.);

56% of U.S. adults would like to trade in their real-life boss for a celebrity comedian.

Overall, I'm not sure I understand the point of the survey, other than (1) it's a reason to promote Crunch Bars; (2) it's a good thing we can't make ourselves invisible; and (3) people wish the boss could tell a good joke.

I vote Eddie Izzard for boss, because he's wicked smart, knows how to apply makeup, and he could offer employees some cake or death at the weekly staff meeting. How awesome would that be? To answer my own question, pretty damn awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seven tips for dealing with a jealous coworker

Look at you, doing so well at work! We're so happy for you. Well, most of us are happy for you and refuse to spend the entire work day talking behind your back. Let's talk about how to handle our jealous co-workers!Like every other professional, you've no doubt experienced your share of failures and successes. Lately, however, things seem to be going your way at work. And how! Perhaps you've managed to ace an important project this quarter, been instrumental in landing a huge client, earned some well-deserved rewards for this and that, or -- egads! -- been given a slight promotion or additional work responsibilities (e.g., the work responsibilities you actually want).You're quietly chuffed, but somehow your co-workers seem none too pleased with this rapid turn of events. Oh no, what should you do now?It's a workplace tale older than the disjointed last season of Mad Men. The playing field in the department was even, cozy and overall very friendly -- until so-an…

Employees Blame Technology For Slowing Them Down At Work

Do you feel like you're always working, but never getting very much done? If so, you're not alone. Too much technology, and too much red tape, keep slowing us down at work. But technology, and more of it, is supposed to make our lives easier! Too much technology, however, does not compute for employees. A new SAP/Knowledge@Wharton survey of almost 700 corporate employees finds a full 60% of respondents blame technology "for inhibiting their ability to meet strategic goals." Gee, anyone who has ever used the self-checkout line at the grocery store can tell you that. However, 40% surveyed said that looking for ways to simplify the technology has been "a low priority" for their company. Too much paperwork is an on-going problem for the workplace, too. A new ServiceNow survey of nearly 1,000 managers finds that 90% are doing too much administrative work, no matter the size of the company. This paperwork includes filling out forms, writing status updates, …

Is Your Co-worker Always Late For Work?

You've started the workday, but where is your co-worker? Oh, she's running late again, just like yesterday. And the day before. And the day before that. Let's get an early start on solving her tardiness problem, shall we? Working with someone who is consistently late is one of the most annoying aspects of office life, and also one of the most common, unfortunately. It's a universal theme of the workplace that everyone will get to work on time (give or take a few minutes...) except for the employee who is egregiously late nearly every day. And the excuses can get pretty amazing. Employees became more punctual as the Great Recession lingered, at least according to surveys. Everyone, that is, except for your able-bodied but habitually-tardy co-worker. It's bad enough dealing with tardiness when you're a manager, but it can be even more frustrating when you're a rank-and-file peer without any magical "shape up or ship out" managerial powers. So you…